Monday, June 12, 2006

It all started at Mussorie. The days here were entertaining. I was searching for something. I still can't locate what I was looking for. Then it was Dehradun and then Sankri. I just couldn't handle the bus-rides, really a strenuous means of transport. I woke up at six in the morning, had break fast at six thirty, packed my ruksack and left the site by eight. This was the routine for almost twelve days. I always wondered why did I choose this and not something else. I guess one needs a routine to escape another!

Walking is a great experience, a sense of movement forever. The mind is in your control, because all you want to think about is placing the next foot so that you don't fall. Like our guide Shahrukh said on the first day, the technique is "Peeche ka per aage rakhte jao!"

The place that I will always remember is Kedar Kantha,a place where the clouds touch you, a place where the sky chages its colours every minute, a place where the Sun feels like a ball you can touch, a place where the breeze smells of the divine, a place where you can feel God! The place echoed of Raag Kanada, all its swars could be heard very clearly. Then I lay on the rock and a hand touched my right cheek. It was a loving touch. I felt like a child once again, playing in the lap of my grand parents. I opened my eyes and saw no one, may be wind just touched me, may be God, may be my grand father. I could see him everywhere, hear his voice, feel his touch. I felt like a child again, carefree, living in the moment, nothing to think about.

Dhunda, Talauti, Seema, Har ki Doon, Seema, Taluka and then back to Sankri. This was the course of travel. All these destinations were unique in their feel. The route to Har ki Doon was enticing. I could visualise a naayika sitting on the banks of the river Rupin and playing with the water. I didn't know what she was thinking about from her look, may be her nayaka, may be her work, or just nothing. The wild flowers on her head just looked beautiful. Unkempt hair, the body lying on grass feeling the water splash and just staring up at the sky. The naayika didnt need anything or anyone, all by herself she had achieved this state of calm. I just admired her and moved on. She stared at me and smiled.

Back at Sankri the time seemed to have stopped. Eleven days in between were part of a different time frame. Everything was back, the thoughts, the feelings, the person. My tears couldn't hold themselves back. They poured, I knew the reason, but I couldn't do much. Everyone asks me now, "How was the trek?" I frankly don't know, because time never moved since then!

1 comment:

Saroja said...

That was so moving and soooo beautiful Megha!